Thursday, March 19, 2015

Spreading the Word

A couple of weeks ago I attended an event through MetroMoms where I got to spread the word about how beneficial postpartum pelvic floor physical therapy can be. It was exciting to hear how many women had heard of this type of PT from their friends and sisters, but there were still so many who didn't know this is an option.

That's one of the reasons I do these types of events and write this blog. I want to educate moms that issues like urinary incontinence, pain with intercourse and/or pelvic organ prolapse are not just the price they pay for having children. I think that in the US we unfortunately do a great disservice to mothers, in many areas. I've said this before, but in other countries the standard of care is to send a woman home with a baby and a prescription for pelvic PT. Why are we not doing the same thing in the US?

So education is absolutely vital whether that is in our communities, online, or to other healthcare providers. I'm doing my part, but I ask you to do the same. If you're a mom, bring it up with your girlfriends! Tell your own mother! Just letting someone know that there are options could really change their life and continue to spread the word!

No comments: